PGGSS7 music competition is edging closer to the grand finale in which the lucky winner will walk away with Rwf24million. At this point of the competition, all one can say is that may the best contestant wins. However, not all is well with some of the artistes in the race. There are counter accusations among artistes that some contestants are using underhand methods to discredit others.
RnB singer Christopher Muneza has alleged that there is an ongoing campaign by some people to discredit him citing the road shows where a group of people consistently hurled insults at him.
While frantic lobbying for Guma-Guma support is normal among the contestants, in the past the organisers have cautioned contestants against engaging in acts that can tarnish the face of the competition.
Just two weeks ago when the RnB singer was performing in Gicumbi district where the second road show of this year’s competition had taken place, a group of fans who were closer to the stage booed him while performing, while others raised their middle fingers.
More recently, when they were performing in Ngoma district in the Eastern Province, another small section of people in the crowd were seen jeering and shouting obscenities at the singer as he was performing.
Observers and the singer concluded that the attacks seemed to be well organised and a work of someone, who Christopher seems to know but is short of mentioning.
According to Lucky Nzeyimana, one of the leading showbiz journalists working for Royal TV, it has always been an open secret that some contestants pay fans to support them, but it hasn’t been common to see fans abusing artistes on stage.
“From my observation, what happened to Christopher in Gicumbi seemed like a well organised activity. I think it is okay to do campaigns when it comes to the competition, but it’s not indeed right to bribe fans to abuse another contestant,” he said.
Nzeyimana, who runs the popular ‘Celebrities show’, indicated that such acts destroy the reputation of the artistes and in the long run can create divisions in the music industry.
A survey done by The New Times found that some contestants are conniving with media practitioners and fan clubs to tarnish the image of other artistes all in the name of favouring their own.
For instance, from last weekend’s show, Christopher was arguably among the best performers of the evening, going by the energetic performance he delivered and the involvement of the crowd but several media outlets allegedly did not highlight his performance.
“What’s currently happening among my fellow contestants isn’t what I expected. It’s a competition and I believe everyone uses a different tactic to win the attention of music fans. However, I’m against seeing fellow contestants bribing to destroy others’ names,” said Christopher.
The Agatima hit-maker is participating in the contest for the fourth time, following his appearance in 2013, 2014, and 2016.
Last year, he emerged second in the competition and shortly after he parted ways with Kina Music and his then manager Clement Ishimwe.
Today, Ishimwe, under his Kina Music Label manages Dream Boyz that is currently appearing in the competition for the sixth time. It seems though the battle is between Christopher and the Kina Music-based group.
Joseph Mushyoma, the CEO of East African Promoters (EAP), the co-organisers of the competition noted that they have had about allegations of some contestants involved in foul play adding punitive measures await any contestant that will be found plotting against their fellow artistes.
“We’ve heard of some of these issues, but the truth is that this has little influence on the overall performance of the contestant. Our experienced jury considers a wide range of things for an artiste to win. However, we are following up and whoever is found guilty will strictly be punished,” he explained.
Meanwhile, this weekend there will be no performances as artistes rehearse for the grand finale slated for June 24.